Thursday, October 14, 2010

Be YOU, be TRUE




As your mother it’s crucial that you know who inspired me to be who I am. There are a few people who contributed immensely to shaping my views about the world, my personality and beliefs. Inspiration is from Allah and He places it many people, people who don’t even know they are shaping your perspective of the world. There are people who are under appreciated whist alive and only celebrated when they die. But the amazing thing about these people is that they leave behind pieces of beauty on the earth that ultimately forever binds our souls. My mother, your grandmother is undoubtedly one of those women. I did, however, feel the inclination to first tell you about a woman so special, unique and great. She is no longer alive but I keep her with me…always.



MaBusi Mhlongo was more than a musician to me; she was unfolding before my eyes as this being who celebrated her individual style. She knew exactly what she wanted to say and how she wanted to say it. She’s influenced many other musicians who’ve ultimately broken the shackles of conformity because of her. So I thought who better to teach about this woman than you, my child. I wanted to teach you about her because I want you to be unapologetically different, I want you to celebrate your individuality and hone in all the unique talents Allah has blessed you with. Listen to her words and remember that truth is beautiful. Look at the way she dressed and remember that culture is splendor. Listen to her voice and remember that the essence of who you are is imbedded in the inner voice you have and only if you believe in yourself like she did, will that inner voice break out and touch the souls of many dying to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment